I don't play on a soccer team, I haven't since eighth grade. This summer, however, my friends and I formed a small high school co-ed team to play in the Virginia Beach for the North American Sand Soccer Competition (NASSC). I don't remember the last time I had so much fun. Our team played great in our league. We won all three pool play games and made it to the semi-finals but lost by one point 4-3. The team we lost to went on to win the championship. I wasn't the only player on our team who didn't play soccer. Three of our eight players do not play soccer. Anyone can do this!
Although it is different depending on what league you are in, I will state the general facts about the league I played in. The field is less than half the size of a normal soccer field. The goals are twice as small. Your run around barefoot or in sand soccer socks, and the ball is softer so kicking it does not hurt. Five player are on the field at a time. In the co-ed league two of the five players on the field must be girls.
If there are no beaches where you live there still might be a sand soccer field. Check it out, join and have some fun! It's a great way to pass time in the summer. Thanks for reading and please share!
Thursday, June 20, 2013
Tuesday, June 18, 2013
Some people refer to skim boarding as an easy alternative to surfing. While it is very different, it is also very difficult. Most people skim board just for fun while others compete in tournaments at a professional level. Below is a short video of some professionals at work.
Not to worry you do not have to be as good as these guys to have tons of fun. Never have I ever landed a trick on a skim board. That may be because I only go maybe once a year so get out there more to become a great skim boarder. Unfortunately this can only be enjoyed by people who have access to the ocean. For those of you who want to try, here are some instructions to get you started.
1. Buy a Skim Board, and buy some surf wax. You've gotta do this, it's necessary. To make the most effective wax use hot wax and cool wax that have been melted in the microwave. This is very effective.
2. Find an ocean and make your way to a very low populated spot. This is so when you fall off and your board is sent flying nobody gets hurt.
3. Hold one hand on the back of the board and one on the side, about halfway up the board. Wait until a large wave crashes and starts to pull back so that there is only a thin layer of water on the sand.
4. Run towards the water, drop the board on the ground and DO NOT hop on it. Step on it with your front foot first, about an inch or two past the center. The place your back foot behind it. If done correctly you will lose no speed while getting on the board.
5. Now just hold your balance, lean to move, and try your hand at some tricks. If you fall do not fall on your wrists, roll on the ground.
6. Have fun, share, and thanks for reading! If you have any questions leave them in the comments.